[thelist] anonymous domain registration?

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at brown.edu
Mon Apr 23 13:34:52 CDT 2001

At 10:33 AM -0700 4/23/01, A. Erickson wrote:
>  > What do you mean by anonymous? So that if someone does a Whois it
>>  doesn't turn up their name?
>
>Yes.
>
>>  Do what Anthony suggested ... hotmail/yahoo account, PO Box, use a
>>  company name not a personal name, etc. Shouldn't be TOO hard.
>
>I think we're looking for more anonymous though these are good ideas.
>However, all of the above can be traced back to registration and/or credit
>cards.
>
>I'm thinking that he needs three things --
>1. anonymous domain registration (not too big of a deal since all netsol
>really needs is an email address)

Yep. I registered my husband's site at Gandi, and while I'm listed by
name as the administrative contact (which is where you might run into
trouble), his site itself has no names attached to it, just the
"Society for Aesthetic Deletions" company name.

But when in doubt, lie. Make up a name and use that. :)

>2. an anonymous email address -- could use hotmail etc. but those addresses
>seem really easy to gain access to/shut down

There are plenty of other places to get email addresses, probably
ones that are much more secure. Or use a webmail account, but have
the email forwarded to a pop3 account. I know that yahoo can do that.

I have email accounts at various locations. One of them is at
evilemail.com, a site that has a pretty good privacy statement. I can
also get my email from there via pop3 or the web.

>3. anonymous host registration -- this is a little sticky since they'll need
>credit card payment but, then again, maybe a money order with a years worth
>of hosting...?
>
>Anyone remember back in the day there was much noise regarding the use of
>anonymous remailers for email? I know a few of those services got shut-down
>in the whole scientology debacle back in like '96. Do people still use
>remailers? Do they still exist?

I do believe they exist, they're just not free anymore. (web search ends)

http://www.andrebacard.com/remail.html

This site has good information on remailers, as well as links to
other anonymous information.

Good luck!
--
Julia Frizzell