[thelist] php dev on a laptop...

Andrew Forsberg andrew at uber.net.nz
Mon Apr 23 23:53:23 CDT 2001

>I'm getting into PHP/MySQL, and find that it is work that lends itself well
>to being done on my laptop (lots of typing/text...not a lot of graphic
>production/touchpadding). I'm running Windows 2000, PHP 4.04 and MySQL
>3.2something. I like to create a mapped netowrk drive on the laptop with my
>main work directory (from my desktop machine...for file synchronization
>purposes). Trouble is, IIS doesn't like creating virtual folders
>[...]

Hi John,

I can't help you with IIS / Homesite, but I've been running a PHP /
MySQL / Apache / Linux combo on a really old Thinkpad for over a year
with no trouble so far. Apache's online docs have a clear description
of how to setup virtual domains, making working multiple projects on
the one box quite straightforward. Having it all on a laptop is handy
since it can be hidden out of foot's way when you're working at a
workstation, and brought out to a presentation if the client doesn't
have internet access in their boardroom.

I do hope someone else can help you with your IIS situation -- but I
thought I'd offer an alternative that's worked for me...

Best,
Andrew
--
Andrew Forsberg