[thelist] Managing Fonts

Michael Roberto mjr at linkzero.com
Tue Apr 24 20:29:50 CDT 2001

I have found Adobe Type Manager Deluxe extremely helpful in managing fonts.
Of course, that's its job.  You can create font sets which you can turn off
and on, and such.  Checkout adobe's information here...

http://www.adobe.com/products/atm/mainwin.html

As far as loading the fonts i'm not sure if i'm absolutely correct but
if you've gone to the fonts folder and selected file > install and selected
the .ttf file and chose to install it, it should be available.

I know from personal experience sometime adobe products get screwed up with
their font list files.  The font list files are call AdobeFnt.lst and
they can be scattered across windows i found them in these locations on
my machine:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Resource\CMap
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Resource\Font
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Illustrator 9.0\Required\Fonts
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\CMaps
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\Base
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSpt

But here's what adobe said...

"Many Adobe applications (e.g., Photoshop 5.0 and later, Illustrator 7.0 and
later, InDesign 1.0 and later) use a different font engine than previous
Adobe products. These applications use Adobefnt.lst files to quickly gather
and store information about available fonts. They also load font files in
the System Folder: Application Support: Adobe: Fonts folder (Mac OS) or the
Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts folder (Windows) before they load
other fonts installed on the system."

So if you're having a problem with installed fonts not loading in
photoshop, etc, and you've checked another application like Word
and can successfully load them, then i would go to:
Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts and delete the AdobeFnt.lst
file.  This will cause photoshop to reread and rebuild the AdobeFnt.lst
file so it should collect and create a new list of fonts.

This has fixed this problem for me on multiple occaisions, but since
using Type Manager i've not had the problem.  That may be unrelated,
but either way I like using Type Manager and find it helpful.  I couldn't
find a download of a demo for type manager on their website but there
may be one out there somewhere.

Hope this helps a bit.
Mike.

Michael Roberto