[thelist] Usability/Esthetics: Drop Downs vs. Check Boxes

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Apr 24 21:15:46 CDT 2001

Phil Constant wrote:
> We're working with a client that will have a *global* presence. They want a
> country list available to users on a page but want to use check boxes for
> damn near each and every %$&* country in the world (up to 95 and counting).
> Said client doesn't like drop down lists. We've used the usual arguments
> and keep coming back to "clutter" , etc (politely of course). Can I ask the
> experts from evolt to provide some quotes/comments that will help us change
> their minds? Or even, change our mind if necessary? We be open!

What's the intended answer to the question?

Is it "Where do you live"?
Or "What areas does your business have a prescence in?"

If the first, Radio buttons or <Select> box are appropriate.

If the second, Checkboxes are appropriate.

And don't let your client push you around because something is prettier
than something else. With GUI widgets, there are known conventions, and
making them work otherwise will cause you pain and lots of extra
programming. You can of course make Checkboxes behave like radio
buttons, or like a <select> box. But why on earth would you?

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com