[thelist] ServerSide (ColdFusion) Online Version of Long Microsoft Word

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 11:03:24 CDT 2001

Hello everyone,

I need to develop a way to put long (over 100 pages) Microsoft Word
documents online. The result should be an online version of the
document, with each section (i.e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 3.4, 3.4.8, etc.)
viewed in its own page. A Table of Contents with links to each section
should be displayed and clicking on a title should take you there.

Now I have several ideas on how to do this and they all use the
following idea:
- To [b]Save As..[/b] the word document as an html file (ignoring the
fact that word adds useless html and xml into the document). By doing
this, 'document_1.doc' (for example) will yield a 'document_1.html'
file and a 'document_1_files' folder which will hold all relevant
images.
- The doc will be 'split' based on the headings. That is the headings
throughout the html should share some common code, so I can split it
into sections.

What would be the best way to do this?

My main ideas where:
- one database table for each document, with each record being one
section (section as is 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, etc.).
- One html file generated for each section.

If anyone has any new suggestions or comments I would love to hear
them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any feedback will help be
greatly.

Jon.