[thelist] Usability/Esthetics: Drop Downs vs. Check Boxes

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Wed Apr 25 11:36:14 CDT 2001

Simple: Have a text box where user types in his country code. Next to the
text box, have a link that says simply, 'Find your country code here', have
a target window open up once clicked (without browser windows of course)
with countries listed. i.e. United States-USA

Top of the target page, have name links at the top with the continents, list
the countries/codes under their respective continent.

This method I've found works best in some instances, not in others. Would
resolve your conflict however.

Just a thought

Dan O.

We're working with a client that will have a *global* presence. They want a
country list available to users on a page but want to use check boxes for
damn near each and every %$&* country in the world (up to 95 and counting).
Said client doesn't like drop down lists. We've used the usual arguments
and keep coming back to "clutter" , etc (politely of course). Can I ask the
experts from evolt to provide some quotes/comments that will help us change
their minds? Or even, change our mind if necessary? We be open!