[thelist] Font Sizes: Online Picture Examples of Points, Pixels, Picas.. ?

Freda Lockert fredalockert at clara.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 14:25:21 CDT 2001

>hey deke, i've been looking for historical/etymological (?) info on fonts
>off-and-on for quite a while. where'd you come up with all this detail? i'd
>love to get my hands on a good thick book of the entire history of
everything known about typefaces.

It will fill much more than 1 good thick book! The history of
typefaces can't be separated from their cultural and historical
background, they're as representative of their times as any art form
can be.

The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst; Hartley &
Marks ISBN 0-88179-1332-6,  would be a good place to start; it
necessarily covers more than just fonts, is an acknowledged 'bible'
on the subject and is written with wit and an easy style.

Freda