[thelist] HTML Dead?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 25 17:28:27 CDT 2001

> From: Rachell Coe <rachell at coeville.com>
[...]
> I need some opinions on this one. I
> have just read that as of APRIL 10, 2001 that HTML was declared
> DEAD...It is now part of XML. The W3 made it official that XHTML 1.0
> is the official new standard, Should we now modify our webpages to the

erm... not quite accurate:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

"10 April 2001: W3C is pleased to announce the publication of
Modularization of XHTML as a W3C Recommendation"

XHTML has been around for quite a while now... in fact, there are
some articles on the site about it...

http://evolt.org/article/XHTML/1/368/index.html
XHTML 1.0 Now Proposed Recommendation by W3C
08/25/1999

http://evolt.org/article/XHTML/1/730/index.html
XHTML 1.0 now a W3C Recommendation
01/27/2000

http://evolt.org/article/XHTML/1/4390/index.html
XHTML Basic adopted as W3C Standard
12/23/2000

and it's even on 1.1 now...

> XHTML? I found a program called HTML KIT
> http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ it converts your pages to XHTML...If I

um, not quite... HTML-Kit is an editor (not WYSIWYG)... it helps
ensure you write compliant code, but it doesn't convert anything...

> am not mistaken XHTML is HTML are one of the same only the X is more
> proper in coding. NO caps <P> NO Good </P> <p> Good </p> Everything
> need </> Plus others..Do you think it is wise to transfer all the HTML
> pages to the XHTML now?

depends on your audience... many sites have switched, many are
using HTML 4.01 with really good syntax to make the transition
easier... but yes, it is very strict, and you need good, clean
markup, and closed (or self-terminating) tags...

> I already implement everything but the Cascading Style Sheets, and
> will soon be doing that with new designs.  How worried should I be
> about past web sites that I'm still maintaining?  As far as I know,
> the latest browser versions still support font tags and such (Netscape
> 6 and IE 5).  How long before those are no longer recognized (for
> instance does IE 6 that is in testing support them)?

they'll be supported through v10 browsers (IMNSHO)... but you
should learn to cut them now...

btw, keep your eyes peeled for an XHTML article on the site
soonish...