[thelist] Usability/Esthetics: Drop Downs vs. Check Boxes

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Wed Apr 25 21:03:33 CDT 2001

Phil,
I have a close resemblance. It's a link with no text box. When clicked on, a
window opens up without the 'menus' in the browser. I set the window to open
to fit the table created on that page. It's in javascript. You can view the
'source' code on both pages to get an idea and grab the script code. If you
notice on the original page, when clicking on the link, the script has the
'original' page refresh, so you must get your 'href' correct for that.
That's one of the errors many web dev's make at first in their script. Once
you have that down, basically throw in your text box next to the link and
target your 'post' or 'get' correctly and your ready to go.
You'd just have to create your 95 countries page with the codes. If you have
them in a table or text file, your almost good to go. Good luck. If you do
it, let me know the URL, I'd like to see it.

Here's the link (By the way, don't try the query boxes, I've taken the db
offline in the offseason and need to merge the 2000 stats to the db.
Debating on trying to dip into SQL or just stick with the Frontpage db
connector):

Scroll all the way to the bottom, it says this:  **For a complete Column
Legend**
Click on 'Column Legend'.
http://www.whodoistart.com/football/query1.asp

Dan O.
PS- My first REAL helpful input to the list. Makes me feel great, with all
the excellent people in this list, almost started to feel guilty. Thanks all
for this list!!

Dan, you wrote:
Simple: Have a text box where user types in his country code. Next to the
text box, have a link that says simply, 'Find your country code here', have
a target window open up once clicked (without browser windows of course)
with countries listed. i.e. United States-USA
Top of the target page, have name links at the top with the continents, list
the countries/codes under their respective continent.
This method I've found works best in some instances, not in others. Would
resolve your conflict however.
Just a thought

can you provide me with a real-world example of this? i think i get your
idea and am playing with it right now but would like to see something in
action. all the responses have been good. we love the map idea from earlier
but it'll be a bear to program.

phil