[thelist] Staving Off Photo Thieves

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 26 22:02:10 CDT 2001

> From: "Jesus G. Gorriti" <Jesus.Gorriti at iconmedialab.es>
>
> But since Rachell knows who is stealing their photos it should be easy
> to check if the photos are digimarked. And digimarc can be used for
> suing as far as I know (Photonica does it).

clearly that's true, but is the added expense and hassle worth it?
can't a letter from a lawyer do the trick?  if not, i dunno if the
Digimarc will matter that much more unless they are truly
modifying the hell out of the images...

yeah, if litigation is an acceptable option, sure, it's good to build
the case in advance... i tend to avoid using lawyers whenever
necessary, and have used the visible watermarking before... it's
worked every time, and i haven't even had to contact the people
stealing them (which is good if i don't know all the people stealing
them)...