[thelist] Staving Off Photo Thieves

viveka me at karmanaut.com
Fri Apr 27 08:26:36 CDT 2001

OK, here's what confuses me.

Photographers happily allow their images to be
published in print. The better the quality of the
image, the happier they are. Now; scanners are
very cheap these days.

http://www.epinions.com/cmhd-Scanners-All-Canon_650_Series_CanoScan_650U?tk=HP006.1.1

Back in the dark days of 1996, when I briefly
did Print, I worked for a magazine publisher who
didn't have a scanner that good. It's now $99.
Aparently it's possible to buy scanners for $29.
Computer retailers are giving them away with
consumer-grade machines.

A 600 DPI 42-bit scan from an art book is going
to give you a much better image  than even a
950x565 high-quality Jpeg.

So what's up? Why the sudden paranoia, just
because an image is online?

V.