[thelist] msn mail bouncing

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Fri Apr 27 09:59:41 CDT 2001

heya , sorry about the late reply, i missed your reply right away :)

jeff wrote:

> : [root at djc log]# host 207.189.150.220
> : Host not found.
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> odd.  it resolves on our primary dns server, but not our secondary.
> apparently our primary was too taxed to respond.  so, the secondary dns
> server has been updated so it should resolve now.

yup, looks good now

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : theres a couple other oddities with your DNS
> : servers too
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> like what, specifically?

i'll email you offlist with these..

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : [...] but the most likely cause is you don't
> : have a PTR record for mail2.alphashop.com
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> can you elaborate?
>
> anybody else?

the 'reverse record' for the IP address.. like a normal record looks
like

www.foo.com. 	IN	A	1.2.3.4

whereas the PTR records are the opposite, they match each IP address to
a host

4	IN	PTR	www.foo.com.

would match '4' in this case of the 1.2.3 class C to www.foo.com it gets
infinantly more difficult to understand as you get farther away from a
single class C

umm.. anyways, if you didnt have a PTR record for mail2.alphashop.com it
wouldn't reverse resolve, which is something a lot of mail servers
require other mail servers to do these days to protect against
spam(although I've never heard of MSN trying to protect its customers
from spam before..)

at any rate, looks like its good now. is the customer having issues
still?

.djc.