[thelist] flash popups: are they processor dependent?

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Sun Apr 29 00:26:35 CDT 2001

Peter Kaulback wrote:
> I was asked to outline a flash popups theory when I cam across the Remedi
> Project's latest incarnation http://www.theremediproject.com/ and noticed
> they have a separate setting for over 500mhz cpu's and sub 500 CPUs.  Is
> this a common occurrence with intensive Flash sites and should one be
> considerate of such a detail when the site goes live (if it even includes
> flash will depend on many things).

<digression>
Interesting - I see this more and more on sites - sites with processor
requirements. And frankly, I find it hard to imagine what sites could
tolerate this kind of requirement. Gamers of course adopt machines/video
cards rapidly, but for businesses and even developers, speed based upgrades
seem to be happening slower for people.
</digression>

<rant>
Designers usually have fast machines. Flash designers also. There has always
been a danger in Flash authoring of making movies which run great on the
authoring machine, but like a dog on anything just a tad slower. Usually
it's about expectations for frame rate.
</rant>

<advice>
*Usually* Flash movies can be recalibrated to run good on just about any
machine. Drop the frame rate, cut out the extra frames, and things will
usually run great. Like anything, the key is to test it out on some other,
slower, lessor machines.
</advice>

<an-actual-answer-to-your-question>
It really depends on your flash movie - if it works on slower machines - who
needs a warning? And I think folks who do Flash professionally learn the
lesson of making it work with less processor power.

So they *can* be processor dependent, but aren't necessarily.
</an-actual-answer-to-your-question>

       - Joe <http://artlung.com/>
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com