[thelist] flash popups: are they processor dependent?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 29 02:58:05 CDT 2001

> From: Joe Crawford <jcrawford at avencom.com>
[...]
> > Remedi Project's latest incarnation http://www.theremediproject.com/
> > and noticed they have a separate setting for over 500mhz cpu's and
> > sub 500 CPUs.  Is this a common occurrence with intensive Flash
[...]
> Interesting - I see this more and more on sites - sites with processor
> requirements. And frankly, I find it hard to imagine what sites could
> tolerate this kind of requirement. Gamers of course adopt
> machines/video cards rapidly, but for businesses and even developers,
> speed based upgrades seem to be happening slower for people.
> </digression>

it also says, "No multi-tasking please."

that's just messed up...

i'd bet if you walked around your offices, and those of your clients,
and asked who was running a machine at over 500MHz, you'd be
surprised how many people don't know...

in most cases, a processor requirement is the first clue of Flash
masturbation... certainly there are sites (art, experimental, gamer,
etc.) that can do that without alienating too much of an audience,
but i'd tend to believe that sites for the general public that list those
requirements are doing nothing more than playing with Flash on the
client's/boss's dime...

i know there's nothing on the sites i've seen doing it that warrants
the split... of course, i've usually lost interest after 5 second
animated menus that you have to wait for before you can surf
anywhere...