[thelist] Rollover that changes to an animation that loops only once

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Mon Apr 30 12:08:06 CDT 2001

Elly wrote:
> I designed a rollover that image changes to an animation that loops
> only once. In IE 5 Mac, It plays correctly once, then subsequent
> times you mouseover, the last image (the animation completely loaded)
> of the animation plays before the animation sequence. This seems like
> the image is cached, but even an option - reload won't play it
> properly again, only quitting the browser and relaunching will again
> play it only once correctly.

I've run across this. The browser is doing its best to do what you want.
You roll on, you see the animation. You roll off, see the default, roll
on again and you see the "finished" animation.

The trick I've used is doing *two* rollovers as the rollover. The first
is to a static image of the first frame of the animation, the second is
to the animated version.

At least, I think that was what worked.

Results were very funky trying to do this in the past, doing the
"simple" thing (just rollovers) acted different between Netscape 4 Mac
vs. Netscape 4 PC, which acted different from IE5 and 4, etc.

> I've tried this with four different JavaScript codes; my old favorite
> from Doc JavaScript, Dreamweaver's with and without preloading
> images, and ImageReady's. Is there something funny with Dreamweaver's
> rollover code that supposedly does not preload images? I suspect this
> is what I need, since an animation already loaded ends up at the last
> frame.

A rollover is a rollover, and preloading doesn't have an effect, I
believe.

> It does not happen in NN6, NN 4.76, or iCab. It doesn't make a
> difference if I have IE cache set at 0. I'm suspecting there's no way
> around this and it's a quirk of IE 5. It's just not noticeable if a
> rollover image animation is one that loops forever, since it doesn't
> matter where it starts.
>
> Does anyone know of an example a rollover that image changes to an
> animation that loops only once, or a workaround for this?

I don't have anything handy. :-(  This would make a good example for my
"Lab".

Maybe my input will help,

	Joe <http://artlung.com/>
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com