[thelist] multi platform fonts

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Mon Apr 30 17:51:40 CDT 2001

In the wee hour of 08:17 AM 4/30/01 -0700, Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns
bequeathed such tales as these:
>My greatest concern with font issues is how the sizing of them can appear
>so different in various browsers and platforms, at least in terms of how
>it impacts wrapping and the overall layout.... making sure the layout will
>work fine with these differences. If you had a chance to look at some of
>the screen shots, it's really quite astonishing to see. I'd be guessing
>that there would be comparable differences branching out to try other
>fonts. It would be interesting to see.

I've noticed this of late especially with IE and the different font views
being available.  Set the font size to smallest and if someone has coded
for a variable font with layers then all kinds of messes crop up.

>I'd still suggest allowing for some of the basic fonts in your font
>designations, though, keeping in mind that while you could go for using
>some newer ones within MS Publisher 2000 that you may have other fonts
>being seen rather than your first choice, especially with PC vs. Macs.

Thanks, I figured as much and will continue to use the core fonts.

>As long as you allow for such things and also make sure they render well
>on the Web, then you should be fine. Some fonts don't look so good on the
>Web, as you may know. I'd be especially careful in smaller sizes, as they
>may look clear on one platform and be either fuzzed out or otherwise
>unreadable on another platform.
>
>I personally tend to stay more conservative with my font designations and
>leave the more unusual fonts for graphic titles, but still being careful
>that they render well on the Web.
>
>The world of web design has also been such an interesting one for me, with
>fonts being an important part of that, of course, both via HTML and within
>graphics. I've found it to be an interesting challenge to get pages to
>look great regardless of browser and platform. It can be like climbing Mt.
>Everest sometimes, but it's also rewarding.

Standing on top of Everest in sheer glory and not being able to breathe
sounds invigorating in a strange masochistic way but I'll stick to figuring
out my designs for now ;)

>I'm also a big advocate of browser standards. :-) All the workarounds get
>more than a little old.
>
>Warmly,
>Shirley

Thanks again,
Peter Kaulback

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison (1847-1931)