[thelist] Online documentation

Pearson, John JOHN.PEARSON at eia.doe.gov
Tue May 1 14:30:46 CDT 2001

<tip>We use adobe acrobat extensively for all of our documents and we archive the
html docs to pdf's as well.  The trick is to use an "http" reference so that the
HTTP server will "byte serve" only the initial index and then allow you to page
through the document at random.
If you give an ftp reference the user only gets to receive the whole file since
ftp servers do not byte serve.  For example try these alternative links to a
multi-megabyte pdf
byte served: http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/pdf/international/0484(2001).pdf
file served: ftp://ftp.eia.doe.gov/pub/pdf/international/0484(2001).pdf

its the same file, we aliased the space for the two servers.
</tip>