[thelist] sql: order by and umlauts/entities

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Tue May 1 14:38:26 CDT 2001

Hi Joxn,

Sorry to come in late ... (I was out of the office last week) ... still
sifting through the mountain of email and saw your umlaut situation ...

I was just wondering if you could add a second manipulated version of the
field to your select and just use it for sorting purposes ...

Something like ... Select furrin_city_name, replace(furrin_city_name,
"ö", "oe") as Sort_My_Butt from sum_dang_data_table_r_other order by
Sort_My_Butt;

[You may have to nest 2 or 3 of those 'replace' functions to cover other
vowels.]

It's not always intuitive, but sometimes selecting the same field multiple
times can be useful for stuff like this.

HTH,

RonL.