list confrontations, was: [thelist] Org Chart?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed May 2 23:19:27 CDT 2001

On 2 May 2001, at 23:28, Michele Wandrei posted a message which said:

> PLEASE don't jump to conclusions like that!  Just because someone chooses to
> donate services to a non-profit organization, or because an organization
> doesn't have the funding to purchase software, doesn't mean that anyone is
> stealing anything.  Why would you assume such a thing?

Because the post I was responding to, and which was quoted in *my*
post, even though you saw fit to edit it out, specifically was talking
about SHAREWARE - which is try-before-you-buy software - rather
than freeware. I repeat that paragraph here:

>> I think Michele brings up a good point that shows the other side of the
>> coin.. Sometimes, people really can't afford to pay for software, even
>> that 'just $30' shareware.

Donating your *own* services to a non-profit organizations is admirable.
Stealing shareware on their behalf is not.

In any case, why not write an org-chart CGI, and offer it on the web free
for the benefit of *all* deserving non-profits? That would be a much better
use of donated labor. After all, we're not talking about rocket science
here. Any webmaster who can't write something like that ought to be
ashamed of himself.

deke