[thelist] Org Chart?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu May 3 07:08:04 CDT 2001

> From: "Nicole Parrot" <nicole at parrot.ca>
[...]
> I, with others, run http://www.theforce.net  While a lot of people
> assume it's a professional site, it is not. It's strictly done on a
> voluntary basis, as a hobby, and does not generate money. All the $$
> from the ads go *directly* to our hosting company, and we do not see
> it. There are 50 people involved in that site. That's fifty people I
> need to keep track of, and we've just reached a point where we're big
> enough that we need to have some hierarchy in place,  and have
> everyone agree with it.

have you thought about using your draw package?  do you have
illustrator, freehand, coreldraw, or something else?  the advantage
is you know the software, and anyone else who has it can also
maintain/edit it... and boxes are pretty easy to do overall...

> So, no, I'm not going to get paid for my use of the software. Most
> likely I'll get flamed by a few of our volunteers when they realise
> they're not the boss they thought they were.

well, then it might be worth not locking yourself into shareware...
freeware, sure... but shareware you should pay for eventually, and if
you can maintain it in your draw program...

> TheForce.net was featured about a month ago in the Wall Street
> Journal, 2 weeks ago on Fox news, last week in Business 2.0, and we
> have more major coverage coming up. It's big *BUT* is not a job, and
> there's no money in it. BTW, if you love Star wars, if you're a good
> tech person, and want a fun hobby, contact me offlist. We need more
> tech people. ;-)

heh... umm...