list confrontations, was: [thelist] Org Chart?

J J squid_66 at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 10:13:07 CDT 2001

--- "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at starkmedia.com> wrote:
> I wasn't suggesting one steal shareware.. My
> apparently not-so-obvious
> point was that you should look for free/open
> alternatives instead of
> having to 'pay' for software, period.

We're caught in a vicious circle with this topic...

Just be careful not to waste hours, if not days,
trying to find a free solution when there is probably
a perfectly good pay solution that may not even cost
that much.

In most cases, time is money.  If it's not, your life
should be more valuable than hunting for free software
to save $100 for example.  And if you just don't have
the cash available, maybe the project isn't right for
you?  Maybe you are taking the personal project a bit
too far?

I've yet to hear anyone lay in their death bed and say
"damn I wish I would have spent more time looking for
free software"  :)