[thelist] 403.9 error

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Thu May 3 14:36:14 CDT 2001

Hi, folks --

Need some help trying to resolve a server issue.

First some unincriminating (as in names have not been used, etc.)
background:

Some teachers in our district are working with a contractor on an
educational site. The contractor is using lots of frames and JavaScript and
several Java applets.

The site is being served by a company in another country. According to
NetCraft, it's running IIS4.0 on NT4 or 98. Presumably it is sharing the
machine with other sites.

Okay. The issue is that whenever a group of students try to access the site
simultaneously from one of the labs in our district, they all get 403.9
errors, which means "too many users", right?

So the contractor is calling me and telling me there's a problem with our
network. I have politely tried to explain that the problem is on *the
server* and told her that the students in the labs have no problem
connecting to any number of other domains simultaneously.

Now I need a reality check. Is there *anything* else that could cause an
IIS4 server to throw a 403.9? Could the Java applet menu be written in such
a way that *it* is causing the problem?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
David