[thelist] password protected area

Lisa Frost lisa at koolfish.com
Fri May 4 10:45:36 CDT 2001

Hi
Can anyone give me some idea what I will need so I don't look a dumb ass
while finding some one to do this for me.

The client wants two sections on their website to be only accessible to
their customers.
i.e. these two sections must be password protected. The customer must log in
to proceed further.

The customer will be given the password by the client once they have
fulfilled all the funds criteria. It is not to be like a registration form.

I see two scenarios which I need to discuss with my client.
A) Every one has the same password. What would I need to set this up? A
simple cgi script?

B) Each customer is given a username and password unique to them.
   Does this involve having a data base or can it be done with some cgi
script?

c) Once they log into one section I don't really want them to have to login
in again but this is not an absolute necessity.

d) It has to be easy for the client to give out a username and password and
add the new customer so they can access the restricted website areas

Is there anyway that we can track which clients use the site and how long
they stay there?

I wanted to try and learn how to do this myself but I feel that this part of
the site may be beyond my capabilities, if anyone is interested in doing
this part please email me off list with what you charge per hour/job so I
can discuss my proposal with my client next week. I am based in Bangkok  the
client in Geneva.

Thanks
Lisa
lisa at koolfish.com