[thelist] domain self-hosting

Green, Janet JGreen at DesMoinesMetro.com
Fri May 4 11:03:11 CDT 2001

>>>I have a cable modem through AT&T. One problem I suspect is that they
won't let me have a static IP address. I've tried to talk to AT&T about it,
but they aren't very helpful.<<<

Just to shed some light, AT&T isn't very helpful because they don't *want*
someone running a web server on their cable modem. The secret of cable
modems is that a user's connection quality *can* be affected by how many
other users are using their same cable hub (in other words, the more people
in your cable-ready neighborhood who have this service, the slower your
connection is going to be), and a web server clearly generates more traffic
than a plain ol' web-surfing user. They probably don't want the additional
traffic on their service, because suddenly you're not just a consumer,
you're making a profit off their (relatively) cheap monthly rate.

-Janet