[thelist] Why is NS6 DHTML so SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW?!

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Sun May 6 05:01:40 CDT 2001

>>For an overview of new stuff in Netscape 6, see
>>http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?version5.html
>
>Now that page *is* interesting. Thank you.
>
>I don't know about how the rest of the list feel about extensively
>using the various implementations of the DOM (or lack of
>implementation), but personally I've nearly given up, and use server
>side programming wherever possible to provide services.

Please don't forget that at the moment we cannot make commercial sites that
extensively use the W3C DOM because not enough browsers support it (only
80%, which is too little). So we'll have to wait until the Version 4
browsers are out.

Only then can we really start using the DOM, for instance for rewriting
pages on the fly, receiving XML documents and pasting their content into the
page etc.

>Javascript on its own, on the other hand, seems fairly safe -- has
>anyone found anything particularly useful or interesting in v 1.3?

The DOM is part of JavaScript, so the most important change it its
inclusion. BTW: later Netscape 4's and Explorer 4's already say they speak
'JavaScript 1.3', one more reason to distrust the version numbers. I think
Netscape 6 now officially support 1.5, and I have no idea whatever happened
to 1.4

Forget about the version numbers, they're just not important. Instead, think
in browser generations.

ppk