[thelist] Mac could not put away CD after using IE4.5 to view web interface - mysteriously cured!

George Dillon evolt at georgedillon.com
Sun May 6 11:45:58 CDT 2001

Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone shed light on what went on
here?

In brief, after viewing pages using IE4.5, if the CD icon is dragged to the
wastebasket BEFORE closing the browser this error message is displayed:

<error message>

The disk "CDVolume" could not be put away
because it contains the file "FILE.GIF",
which is in use.

Quit all programs using "FILE.GIF", then
try putting away the disk again.

</error message>

Sometimes the culprit is a .GIF, sometimes a .CSS, sometimes a .JPG file.

Trouble is, closing down IE does not solve the problem, and while the Mac is
still usable, the CD cannot be ejected by any normal means - the same error
message still comes up.

A very experienced (17+ years) Mac user (my brother) alerted me to this with
a web-page-interfaced Hybrid CD I've been killing myself to create on a
PC... [ OK yeah, I know... get a Mac & Toast :( ]

At first I thought this was my mistake but then I found I could reproduce
the same problem while using a magazine cover disk.

BUT NOW I'm totally confused... after my brother's warning I recreated the
problem repeatedly on my own machine, but now it's suddenly gone away.  For
some reason I can now insert the offending CD, let it autostart in IE4.5 and
drag the CD icon to the wastebasket to eject the CD with no hitch.  Don't
know what caused it in the first place, and now I've no idea what made it go
away.  (I continued testing and found the problem did not occur with NN4.08,
nor with a different magazine's cover-disk, but maybe it "righted itself"
before I tried those tests, so I can't be sure).

Obviously I'm concerned that my CD may be blamed for do nasty things to its
Mac-user audience, and (yet again) I've had to delay its release until I've
identified and eliminated this bug.

So please can anyone illuminate me?  (Off-list too, please, as I'm
digesting.)

TIA

George

evolt at georgedillon.com