[thelist] flash detection

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun May 6 18:54:04 CDT 2001

> From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>
[...]
> but it's not OK to support visitors without component. So why don't
> people here bitch and moan about JavaScript 1.1 or PDFs?

i do that... all the time...  only difference is, a well-designed site
doesn't require JS or PDF to get around, it's built as an add-on...
Flash sites require a Flash plug-in, period... there is no in-between,
it's either on or off... at least with JS and PDFs, you can often get
around pretty well... and for those sites the require JS to navigate, i
don't use 'em...

otherwise, yeah, your points are heard, there are many sites where
Flash is the ideal choice... i just think that in the business world,
whenever you are trying to do any type of commerce or data
transaction, it just isn't an appropriate technology...

and i think a lot of us do business sites where that technology
would be inappropriate, and as such, assume others are in the
same position...

as long as Flash isn't done for eye-candy's sake, i generally don't
mind it... i just hate using a site when i can't use my back button
or the navigation is one of those lame 5 second animations on
every page, so you can never click around...

anyway, some interesting articles on the evolt site that talk a bit
about the usability concerns of Flash (both pro-Flash):

Flash Interface Usability
http://evolt.org/article/list/4090/8968/index.html

Developing User-Friendly Flash Content
http://evolt.org/article/list/4090/9601/index.html