[thelist] flash detection

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Mon May 7 16:16:23 CDT 2001

<<
True.  But my point is, people dig Flash *once*.  And that's it.  Then it's
not cool.  How many visitors did that site get in the second month?  The
second time, Flash is tedious.  Very, very tedious.  And even using heavy
compression, most Flash animations also take forever to load on a 56.6 (or,
heaven forbid, 28.8, which my parents are currently stuck with).  Flash has
zero replay value.

   First Time: That was cool!
   Second Time: That was allright.
   Third Time: For God sakes, I want to get to the information already!

Flash is useful for sites that function as commercials do on TV.  To
entertain and build brand-awareness.

Most commercials have zero replay value.  A select few continue to be
entertaining...
In addition, we are conditioned to accept interruptions in our viewing
experience.  That is why it's so disturbing when TV networks replay movies,
and then disrupt the flow with commericals.

Flash lives on another medium with different expectations, so it should step
aside if it's impeding access to information.

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com