[thelist] Currently Freelancer - Becoming Employee?

Gina K. Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Mon May 7 21:49:04 CDT 2001

Hi all,

Well, I've been a freelancer/subcontractor for a few years. I am *probably*
buying a house and I feel like I should grow up and get a direct position with a
design firm--so I can have income I can rely on ;-) I have a few concerns
though, before I really make up my mind and start sending out resumes, if anyone
would care to respond, especially employers or freelancers who went direct.

1. If I went direct with a firm, I would stop doing subcontracting for other
companies, however, I need to keep my "business" open and somewhat active for
three years because of tax reasons. So I guess I would need to do a site or
three a year with my own name on it in my spare time. Anyone  done this before?
Is this accepted normally, as long as your employer gets top priority of course.

2. I would need a 'telecommuting direct' position. I can't work outside my
home--so if I need Photoshop 7 for example, and 95% of my income comes from the
firm I work for, do I buy it and deduct it on my biz taxes, or ask the firm??
Obviously I've never been an employee, so bear with me. How do you employers
handle the needs for software and such for your 'working from home' folk? If I
wanted a Photoshop update, I simply bought it and deducted it--don't know what
to expect as an employee.

3. Where's a good place to look for the type of job I'd like? Where do you guys
hunt for web design jobs?

4. Finally, any other suggestions are invited, on or offlist. I'm trying to
decide what's best for me here, so fire away ;)

Thanks for all your comments in advance!
Gina