[thelist] Streaming SWF files

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue May 8 17:55:12 CDT 2001

At 10:32 PM 5/7/1, Navin Dhanuka wrote:
> Can anybody guide me how to do Flash Streaming, i.e. the surfer
> can see the flash movie but in his cache(Temporary Internet
> Files), he doesnot gets the SWF file.

No, sorry, we just use a regular HTTP connection here. The browser caches
this material.

(A SWF *does* stream in, so you can start interacting with it before the
entire file downloads, but is a normal HTTP connection, and the browser
does eventually finish downloading this file.)

For "How can I prevent a presentation from being viewed from the cache?"
then sometimes people load levels live at runtime... the SWF that's
specified in the HTML page can all other SWF files to play within itself.
The browser still requests this material and retains it in its cache, but
there is no longer a single file which contains all the content, making it
difficult to redistribute.

(For related concerns, sometimes people have the SWF check its "_url"
property, or request a text file from the server, or include identifying
information in query terms to the SWF itself... these might or might not be
related to the core concern there, not sure.)

jd