[thelist] RE: SQL: rename column/field

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 11:34:35 CDT 2001

This is for a sort of admin section of the website, where the user can
update certain information stored in tables, so only the company
personnel will be using this.

I have changed how the program works, so this question doesn't apply
:). Thanks to all who responded.

Jon.

-----MY ORIGINAL POST-----
"Hello,

I need to rename a column/field in an Access db (from ColdFusion). I
also need a WHERE clause with the statement which does this.

Is this possible? (if you know the answer, you can skip the following
detailed explanation :)  )

I need this because I have a table like this:

field1  |  field2  |  field3  |  field4 |
 blah   |   blah   |   blah   |   blah
 blah   |   blah   |   blah   |   blah
 blah   |   blah   |   blah   |   blah

The field names are actually in ascending order (like XXXX_1, XXXX_2,
XXXX_3, etc.). Now if someone drops column field2, I need the field3
and field4 columns to be renamed to field2 and field 3, respectively.

(TABLE WITH DELETED FIELD2)
field1  |  field2  |  field3  |
 blah   |   blah   |   blah   |
 blah   |   blah   |   blah   |