[thelist] image slicing - not for the timid

Elfur Logadottir elfur at members.evolt.org
Sun May 13 18:45:02 CDT 2001

From: "Cayley Vos" <cvos at netpaths.net>

| Several weeks ago I posted a notice about a very
| difficult HTML layout project I was involved in.  I
| slung it together (myself) and all is good, except
| in older versions of NN.  big surprise.  The
| center section is the only one presenting problems,
| with mistaken tiles in the wrong place. Any
| advice would be great!
|
| http://netlivemusic.com/

so I went over there in nn3.01 gold on my W2k system, looking to see only
the center section presenting problems, but this is what I saw. The images
appear to be in the correct position, but there's a big background problem
:)

http://members.evolt.org/elfur/netlivemusicnn301.gif

so I figured, by older versions of NN you're probably talking about the 4.x
series, right?
with that as my solution, I went over there again, now using NN4.05 still
on my W2k system. and then I saw this.

http://members.evolt.org/elfur/netlivemusicnn405.gif

almost flawless, but there were some border problems in the middle section.
(only the vertical borders actually). to be accurate, there was a one pixel
distraction on the left, and several pixels on the right - depending on
browser size ATM.

here are some pointers that will hopefully help you battling your tables.

For the accurate solution of width of table cells in NN (while one is
liquid) you must specify certain things:

1. the width of the table
2. one cell with 100%
3. the accurate width of _all_ other cells in that table, leaving none
unspecified

in your case a width="100%" was missing in one cell.
the cell in question is the first cell in the table that begins after the
<map name="nav_home"> tag.

a snippet of the code looks like this

      <TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%">
        <TR>
          <TD colSpan=3 height=42>
            <TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%">
              <TR height=42>

by adding the width="100%" in the cell with the colspan=3, your good to go.

      <TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%">
        <TR>
          <TD colSpan=3 height=42 width="100%">
            <TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%">
              <TR height=42>

HTH

elfur.is || elfur.com
*the icelandic one*