[thelist] Evolt Web Design Directory

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed May 16 18:09:19 CDT 2001

On 16 May 2001, at 11:07, jeff posted a message which said:

> opening a new, normal browser window is not taking over their system.  the
> more familiar people become with the internet, the more likely they are to
> prefer this method when searching for information -- especially when
> browsing an information heavy site like the directory project or a search
> engine.

Opening a new normal-sized browser window *is* taking over their
system - and it sometimes results in *crashing* their system, in
low-memory situations.

That doesn't mean I don't do it. I do. But I feel *guilty* about doing it.

I've had a number of emails thanking me for it, and I've never gotten
an email of complaint, but that's not a valid poll - people with
complaints usually vote with their "back" button, not with the "send"
button.

I prefer to right-click to get a new window. I don't get *too* upset
when a site opens a new window, but I absolutely *hate* that
commie javascript that sometimes gets substituted for decent
god-fearing anchor tags.

<tip type="appropriate technology">
If you have a shiny new hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

A lousy butter knife works better to turn a screw, though.
</tip>

deke