[thelist] changing bckgrd colour from Flash

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu May 17 15:03:41 CDT 2001

At 10:27 AM 5/17/1, Rachel Starr wrote:
>Does anyone  have any javascript  that I can call from  Flash to  change the
>html background of a movie when a button is clicked in Flash?

Here's a previous reply to this list:

----
At 1:58 PM 5/8/1, Rachel Starr wrote:
> I want a button in my flash movie to trigger a change in
> the background colour of the html page (not in the flash
> background). Anyone have any code for this?  Thanks!!

Well, the SWF file playing in the Macromedia Flash Player can ask the
browser to do something, but whether it does it or not (or even whether it
hears the request) is up to the individual browser, sorry.

The basic mechanism for outgoing communication to JavaScript is the
"FSCommand" material described in the documentation and technotes.
Currently, browsers which can listen to plugins/controls include
Java-enabled Netscape 3.x and 4.x on Mac/Win, and ActiveX-enabled IE3+/Win.
(IE/Mac and Netscape 6 do not support this, and minority browsers or
Java-disabled Netscape do not offer this either.)

If you can put both interactivity and media within the SWF file, then you
would have a more predictable environment to work with, and you can get the
desired interactivity across a wider range of browser choices.

jd