[thelist] Downloading .jpg & .pdf files

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Sat May 19 19:19:19 CDT 2001

on 5/19/2001 1:59 PM, JTocher at janice at discoverysystems.com wrote:
> Seems I remember a discussion in evolt on this before, but can't seem to
> find it in my message archive.
> I am designing a site that will allow the user to *download* .jpg & .pdf
> files directly to their hard drive. Two questions...

I believe the Content-Disposition: header would be the thing to prompt to
save. Would require you have access to raw http headers - PHP, CF, ASP, JSP,
etc would grant you this power.

> Question #1 - Is there anyway in straight HTML (or with a smattering of
> javascript) to download the file when the appropriate link is clicked
> instead of opening it in the browser? I know the file can be 'zipped' which
> will download instead of open the file - was wondering if this is the only
> solution.

Straight HTML? No.

> Question #2 - Is there any way to 'override' the default download directory
> set in the browser so files downloaded from this site will go into their own
> folder?

That's way beyond what a server would have access to manipulate from a
browser. I sure don't want websites doing that.

    - Joe <http://artlung.com/>
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com