[thelist] CSS Contextual Selectors

Matt Patterson ltu97mp at reading.ac.uk
Mon May 21 17:50:31 CDT 2001

On 21/5/01 at 3:07 pm, webmaster at equilon-mrc.com (James Aylard) wrote:

>     This kind of contextual selector won't work in *any* version of IE,
> including the IE 6 beta. That's the big drawback.

I apologise - I just double-checked IE6 beta and it doesn't support E+F... I
don't know where I got the idea that it did from. I think I've been using
IE5/Mac too long.

> ....meaning that any <span> element that is a descendant of a <p> element
> will, in this example, be bolded. But not child selectors (p > span) or
> immediate predecessor selectors (p + span), or most of the other very
> powerful selector types described in the CSS 2 recommendation. That is one
> of the big weaknesses of IE's CSS implementation.

The trauma of IE5/PC and IE5.5/PC is still looming large in my mind, but IE6,
now it gets the box model right (if pushed), is much more useful. I'd assumed
some support for the basic contextual selectors, and I suppose we can hope for
the final release. It's still a little funny just how far apart the Mac and PC
development teams were able to get...

Matt

Matt Patterson:
   Student
   Reading University
   Department of Typography & Graphic Communication

   ltu97mp at reading.ac.uk

   http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~ltu97mp/

   'I could call this place Poohanpiglet Corner if Pooh Corner didn't
sound better, which it does, being smaller and more like a corner.'