[thelist] Using the simplest script possible (was: auto-replacing links...)

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue May 22 11:53:39 CDT 2001

Mark Cheng wrote:
> all you need to do is access the links object, cycle through it and change
> the href, either using pattern matching or whatever.

Bingo!

> Depending upon platform etc you may need cross browser code.  below find
> some code for latest gen browsers :
>
> function changeLinks () {
> var links = document.getElementsByTagname("A");
> for (i=0; i<links.length; i++) {
>         insert code to identify and replace strings here
> }

Eek! Simple is best! Don't be using that fancy schmancy getElement stuff
if you don't have to. A fine way to do this that will work in (almost?)
any damn browser would be: I think it would work as far back as
Netscape 2 or WebTV.

<!--
var newLinkURL = "index.Jhtml"; // insert your URL
/* ======================================= */
/* this will change every link on the page */
/* to whatever newLinkURL is               */
/* ======================================= */
function changeEveryDarnLink () {
for (i=0; i<document.links.length; i++) {
	document.links[i].href=newLinkURL;
	}
}
//-->
</script>

See, that way, you use the simplest method possible, and thus you won't
have to worry about detecting objects or whatnot.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com