[thelist] ASP/ADO/SQL: Is it Possible to Store a Recordset in an Application Variable?

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue May 22 17:42:42 CDT 2001

    I have a question that is primarily ASP-oriented, but also revolves
around ADO and MS SQL: Is it possible to store a recordset extracted from a
SQL table as an Application variable? Actually, I've done that, and on my
ASP page I can determine that the variable is a recordset using the VBScript
TypeName function (the result being "Recordset").
    But I can't figure out how to extract the data from that Application
variable. (In theory, I'd like to be able to loop through the recordset in
the Application variable just as I do through a recordset grabbed directly
from a database -- you know, Do While Not objRs.EOF, blah, blah, blah...).
Can this be done? If so, would someone explain how?
    BTW, this is with a small database table that rarely changes, so storing
it as an Application variable rather than pulling the data from the database
each time seems like a good idea. Are there serious objections to doing
this?
    Thanks.

James Aylard