[thelist] ASP/ADO/SQL: Is it Possible to Store a Recordset in an Application Variable?

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue May 22 18:18:08 CDT 2001

Rudy,

> dunno about asp, but in cold fusion you can set application variables that
> are available basically forever (i.e. until the cf server comes down)
>
> if "each time" means each request for a page, then yeah, using web server
> variables  to keep database query results that don't change that often is
> good idea

    Yup, that's what I meant. Application variables in ASP are essentially
the same as what you describe in CF.

> you'll also need some way to scratch the variables whenever the database
> does change, so that they are automatically retrieved from the database on
> the first page request after the update

    I figured that I would set up ASP code to update the Application
variable from the database when the user modified the underlying table. But
that's a challenge for another day. :)

James Aylard