Windows-Installation (was Re: [thelist] Playing with MIME type (was: Downloading .jpg & .pdf files))

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue May 22 23:09:39 CDT 2001

> From: Jakob Dölling <alligotar at gmx.net>
[...]
> BTW: <TIP typ="WebTV name="Jakob Doelling">WebTV is IE5 as WebTV.net
> is a daughter company of Mc$oft</tip>- I did looked it up in my
> personal server logs. Opera seems also to make use of the IE engine.

erm, methinks you're confused on this one...

WebTV is a different animal than IE... *completely* different... the
core browser was written before MS bought them out... as such,
you can go to WebTV's developer section
(http://developer.webtv.net/) and read up on it... after all, there's no
way WebTV could run the IE5.x bloatware engine...

and Opera does not make use of the IE engine, either... otherwise
their claim to being the "fastest browser on earth" would seem a bit
suspect...

if you are relying on server logs to tell you the browser, it's not
always accurate, since browsers like Opera can fake their User
Agent string... also, you'll note a lot of browsers have the word
'mozilla' in them, which just means that years ago they
masqueraded as Navigator for a while, and kept in there thanks to
all the archaic scripts that check on the User Agent (there are
other reasons, but that's too long of a discussion)...