Windows-Installation (was Re: [thelist] Playing with MIME type (was: Downloading .jpg & .pdf files))

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Wed May 23 22:31:42 CDT 2001

Jakob Dölling wrote:

> BTW: <TIP typ="WebTV name="Jakob Doelling">WebTV is IE5 as WebTV.net is
> a daughter company of Mc$oft</tip>- I did looked it up in my personal
> server logs. Opera seems also to make use of the IE engine.

No, Opera uses it's own display engine. It does however, allow the user to
specify whether to identify itself as one of several flavors of MSIE and
Netscape, or sending it's (Opera's) own user_agent string. If you have cases
of MSIE appearing in your logs when, in fact, the browser was known to be
Opera, then that explains that.

As an aside - I keep meaning to see if there is a hack that would let me
write my own user_agent strings for Opera. That would be kind of fun.

HTH,

Bruce