[thelist] RE: [thelist]Front-end for MS-SQL?

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Thu May 24 10:09:00 CDT 2001

> Not entirely sure what you're asking, but generally .asp
> pages from the
> front-end of SQL backed Apps... I've personally ne'er heard
> of someone using
> Access as a front-end for SQL...

you *can* use Access to front-end SQL Server, by linking the tables in
Access. This gives you the Access tools in front of the db. I'd like some
specifics on how the the SQL Server is gonna be interacted with. The SQL
Server Enterprise Manager gives you everything you need to manage/admin the
server, and included with that is the Query Analyzer, which lets you run
ad-hoc queries. As far as a client application goes, you can use Access, and
it is done in the wild because Access provides the nice interface (forms).
Other than that, a client interface that runs on the web server would be ASP
pages talking directly to the SQL Server db.

Make sense?

sgd