[thelist] MS-SQL vs. MySQL - was Front-end for MS-SQL?

Chris Johnston chris at completeimaging.com
Thu May 24 10:50:15 CDT 2001

Okay, since this licensing issue has been raised in relation to using MS-SQL
on the web, I was wondering what peoples opinions where of MS-SQL vs. MySQL
on a windows platform. Specifically,

1. Limitations on connections
2. Limitations on table size
3. Can both hook to ColdFusion
4. Overall speed
5. Ease of use both in creating and managing tables as well as on the
front-end for Joe Schmoe average user
6. Speed on the web
7. Can MySQL use Access as it data entry front-end
8. Are there any licensing issues with using MySQL on a windows platform
9. Anything else you would like to share

We are looking for one single database solution that will allow us to
connect it to a website (ColdFusion) as well as to be used in the office for
entering data. Unfortunately, due to the complexity of the data, we can not
go with a browser based interface for the office and are therefore limited
to an Access style front-end for data entry.

Chris