[thelist] MS-SQL vs. MySQL - was Front-end for MS-SQL?

Peter Van Dijck peter at vardus.com
Fri May 25 12:16:00 CDT 2001

>I forgot this! MySQL isn't really an enterprise level solution. It's
>very stable, and (touch wood) I've never lost data with it. Lots of high
>traffic websites (slashdot) use it, and for selecting it's very fast. It
>does not, however, support transactions and it rebuilds its indices
>after each insert/update. The question is, how enterprise level are you?

I agree. However, Oracle's power comes with a price: it takes a lot more
time to plan and set up a database with constraints, transactions and
stuff. If you don't know very well what you're doing, there's no point.
What I'm trying to say is: using Oracle in itself won't make for a better
solution, using the strengths of Oracle will, but then you're talking a lot
more work. Which can often better be spent working on the code, not the
database. Most websites won't need it, some web applications will.
Peter