[thelist] Re: traceroutes

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Fri May 25 14:33:45 CDT 2001

I recommend a third party system(either yours or someone elses) that
sits on a *different* network than the one you're checking and makes X
amount of HTTP requests a day(for webservers) This checks for network
connectivity and for the webserver software itself being up and
accepting requests.

If you're just pinging or trace'ing, you're only checking network
connectivity.. After all, the machine might still be up and fine, but
the websever may have crashed...

.djc.