[thelist] Credit card validation

Charles F. Johnson charles at littlegreenfootballs.com
Sat May 26 22:14:26 CDT 2001

Keith Davis <cache at dowebs.com> typed:

> It's unusual and possibly illegal is correct. But that really depends on
> the why and what of their proposal. Could you give us a hint as to why
> they need to validate the card and it's open-to-buy?

Please don't get the wrong impression; there are no illegal intentions here!
The request was made because, apparently, when the orders are imported into
their database the authentication step is skipped. But this is why i'm
asking, because i want to make sure everything is done according to the
rules, and it seemed unusual to validate the card without charging it.

We'll probably recommend that they do the validation step the same way they
would for a phone order (i.e. manually); at this point I don't know all the
details of their merchant account, whether it's an MO/TO account or not. But
your warnings about possible liability are not falling on deaf ears...

charles johnson
lgf web design
http://littlegreenfootballs.com