[thelist] Mozzila refusing to collapse table cell to 1px

Andy Warwick andy.war at ntlworld.com
Mon May 28 07:02:39 CDT 2001

Rudy

> hi andy
>
> haven't tried your code, but the obvious thing to check for is to make sure
> you don't have a line feed in the table cell

<snip suggestions>

That's caught me out before, so I've already tried multiple linebreaks - as
you suggest - even as far as the whole table on one line too; still no joy.

>> (The padding and margins around the <p> tag in mozilla are
>> also very different to IE and Netscape; another bug in Mozilla,
>> or are the other browsers wrong here?)
>
> no comment, except that you'll go nuts trying to achieve the same padding
> and margins in all browsers

<grin>

Tell me about it.

I'm prepared to have different style sheets for different platforms/browsers
to get round exactly this. My issue is more with who is correct to spec in
this case - IE/Netscape or Mozilla - so I know who to whinge at :)

Besides, that was more of an "interesting aside" to the main table collapse
problem, to drive home the point that even those browsers who profess
compatibility are still fairly sucky.

> somebody will probably jump in here to the defence of css,

That will be me :)

I await the day when we can use CSS and it will just work...

> but padding and
> margin are areas which, if you can, you would be well advised to include
> out of your designs

Not an option if you want a design that is the slightest bit interesting,
unfortunately.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Andy Warwick