[thelist] Mozzila refusing to collapse table cell to 1px

Andy Warwick andy.war at ntlworld.com
Mon May 28 09:55:44 CDT 2001

>> It works fine in IE5 (Mac) and Netscape 4.73 (Mac), but breaks in Mozilla
>> 0.9 (Build 2001050518); the first cell doesn't collapse to be 1 pixel high.
>
> Try using this doctype:

> "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
>
> James Aylard can tell you more about the how and why of this. Anyway, if you
> use any other doctype you can expect trouble with tables (though your
> specific problem is new to me).

Well that works ­ thanks ­ but as that means the file is no longer XHTML,
the solution you present is kinda like throwing the baby out with the
bathwater.

I'm happy to go this route if there is no other way, but I'd like to stick
to XHTML (transitional at this stage, as strict is too much of a leap) if at
all possible, otherwise there's little point.

I'm surprised the all-singing, all-dancing Mozilla is broken with such an
obvious problem, unless what I'm doing is somehow against the specs?

Regards

Andy Warwick