[thelist] NN4.7 not showing my Home page/images

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Tue May 29 09:55:53 CDT 2001

After spending quite a bit of time testing my site in I.E. 5.x, NN4.7 and
N6.01 (doing different methods such as adding the script in the body, taking
out the script reference in the head and replacing with the full-bodied
script, etc. etc.) .... here's the following (for future reference for
anyone else running into this problem):

1.  Script tag left in head and entire script placed in body.
        ***N6.01 was definitely unhappy. Got error messages (one was Visual
C++ Runtime Library "abnormal program termination") and finally got booted
out of the browser. Nav images still did not work properly. The onClic Home
image never did appear
        ***NN4.7 was happier but it took 45" for the Home page's text and
nav images to load!!!!!!
        ***I.E.5.x worked the best, loading fairly quickly. But, still
having problems with the onClic Home image appearing (it would eventually).
2. Full script placed in the head (remote tag taken out).
        ***N6.01 liked this better but I kept getting an Alert message "The
operation timed out when attempting to contact www.24caratdesign.com". Still
having trouble with onClic and "hot" images loading. Just showed first set
of images.
        ***NN4.7 Nav images slow to load and erratic AND still takes about
45" to load the Home page. Bad news!
        ***I.E. 5.x did alright, but onClic images still slow to load
throughout the site, especially the Home page.
3. Full script placed in body only (remote tag taken out of head).
        ***N6.01 didn't like this either. Didn't get booted out but got the
"operation timed out" message several times. Nav images still not loading
properly.
        ***NN4.7 same as 2. above.
        ***I.E.5.x  same as 2. above

Solution? I went back to "the way we were" by putting the remote js file tag
back in the head only. I left the scroller script in BUT took out the
"thecounter.com" applet which was always the last item on the Home page, by
the way. Wellllllllllll, that did it. The site is now fast-loading and the
nav images work just like they should in all three browsers. No error
messages. Everything loads quickly.

>And unlike an external js file, an applet is assumed to be a
> non-static resource so the browser checks with the server to see if a
> new copy should be downloaded. But you can minimize the effect. Place
> the applet as the last thing on the page and it wont effect anything
> other than the triggering of the onload event. The best thing would be
> to change to a php or ssi counter as they will be executed before the
> page leaves the server.

I have learned to leave out applets on a Home page when using this rollover
script. I still have an applet on the Services page, but by the time someone
clicks through to that page, it has already loaded and does not seem to
interfere with accessibility. Will check with my host to see about getting a
server-side counter and **hope** there are no loading problems with it.

Whew, what a lesson ... and thanks, thanks, thanks, for the detailed
explanation of everything, Keith. I've surely learned a lot such as methods
to use in other circumstances (that do not include having a counter on the
page!!!!!) It has truly been a Memorial Day weekend!!!!

Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com