[thelist] DVD-R for Mac

Lee Stewart LeeStewart at bigfoot.com
Thu May 31 11:25:25 CDT 2001

> Check out http://www.lacie.com/scripts/cddvd/dvd_intro_final.cfm.

That's a DVD-RAM drive.  Technically different from a DVD-R drive (like the
SuperDrive).  They're incompatible formats and the disc that you record with
DVD-RAM can not be played on a standard DVD-ROM drive or consumer DVD
player.  Also, I think the media is more expensive, since it's built on
magneto optical technology.

As far as I know, the only stand-alone DVD-R drives are from Pioneer:

<link wrap>
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/Industrial/IndustrialProductDe
tails/0,1444,1718,00.html
</link wrap>

Their older model (DVR-S201) is an external SCSI and costs $5400.  The newer
one (DVR-A03) is internal, IDE and $995.  Unfortunately the cheaper drive is
only available bundle with a Mac - Pioneer expects to start selling it
separately in a month.

Lee Stewart               StripedCow Technology Group, Inc.
http://www.stripedcow.com          advanced web development